Here is a recipe for a delicious soup made with Black Gram. This soup calls for shelled (without the skin) Black Gram. You can purchase Black Gram without the shells or soak them off yourself.
1/2 Cup Shelled Black Gram
1 1/2 Cups Water
1 Large Tomato
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Green Chili Pepper (optional)
1/4 Tsp Ginger
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Tbsp Garam Masala (optional)
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 Tsp Red Chili Powder
Salt ot Taste
Parsley for garnish (optional)
1) Wash shelled Black Gram (I use a bowl, not a strainer, to avoid the seeds from escaping through the holes)
2) Heat oil in pan
3) Add chopped onions, ginger, and garlic
4) Once onions start to turn clear, add spices, salt, tomatoes, and chilis.
5) Stir in Black Gram and water. Bring to a boil.
6) Once the soup is boiling, bring down to medium heat
7) Add more water for thinner texture
8) Add chopped parsley for garnish